Zooscan Users Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Background scanning resolution

2 posters

Go down

Background scanning resolution Empty Background scanning resolution

Post  rmlopes Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:39 pm

Marc,
How was the Arctic cruise? I would appreciate to have an explanation why we must keep the background scanning resolution at 1200 dpi even when samples are scanned at 2400 dpi. The manual states (p. 28) that "(...) the background image MUST be scanned and processed AS the plankton images will be (Same frame, Same color balance, Same LUT file option)". However, there is nothing about resolution. I have tried to scan the background at 2400 dpi but image processing fails ("drawing not found on line 136) -- it only works if the background is scanned at 1200 dpi. Maybe I have missed something on the manual or from your explanations in Baton Rouge.
Many thanks,
Rubens Lopes

rmlopes

Back to top Go down

Background scanning resolution Empty Background scanning resolution

Post  picheral Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:43 pm

Dear Rubens,
The background must be scanned and normalized as the samples are except for the resolution... The manual never say that you have to adjust the background resolution anyhow. If you carefully check the vuescan screen, you will see that the background is scanned at 1200 and saved at 1/4 of this resoulution leading to 300 dpi background in ALL cases.
Keep everything as it is by default in Zooprocess !
Best regards
Marc P.

picheral

http://www.zooscan.com

Back to top Go down

Background scanning resolution Empty memory problem?

Post  rmlopes Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 pm

OK, Marc, not a problem. Is this because of memory limitations on ImageJ?
Kind regards
Rubens

rmlopes

Back to top Go down

Background scanning resolution Empty Background scanning resolution / memory limitation

Post  picheral Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:56 am

Dear Rubens,
Yes I tried to reduce the size of the background files as much a s possible. It would consume a lot of hard drive space to save 2 daily background images of 500 / 700 Mb !
The memory requested to remove the background from the normalized image is important because the background is first resized to 2400 dpi and then smoothed before subtraction.
Regards
Marc

picheral

http://www.zooscan.com

Back to top Go down

Background scanning resolution Empty Re: Background scanning resolution

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down