Zooscan Users Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Odd mask files after processing

2 posters

Go down

Odd mask files after processing Empty Odd mask files after processing

Post  jensr Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:56 pm

Hello all

We have performed some scans of larval fish here in Aberdeen that seemed to work fine. An analyst have worked through images, performing manual line measurements of the larval fish in the images, and we've now run the batch processing over the same images in order to try and create conversion factors between the measurements automatically obtained and those directly measured.
However, the scan looks like there are no problems - no stripes or other problems during the scan, and a visual inspection of the image seems like it is ok (here's a resized pic of the scan):

Odd mask files after processing Scan

However after we ran the conversion & processing, we noticed that the zooscan had only picked up about 50 out of 70 fish larvae in the image. When investigating the mask file, it seems something very odd has happened during the conversion or background subtraction:

Odd mask files after processing Mask

The background scan looks clean:

Odd mask files after processing Background

So I'm wondering if this is a processing setting of if we have a(nother) major problem with the scanner?
jensr
jensr

http://zooimage.overchord.net

Back to top Go down

Odd mask files after processing Empty Pb with background

Post  picheral Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Dear Jens,
I had a look at your images. They are apparently OK but I know that the eyes are much more adaptable than the machines !
I would like to get the image and associated files to check the process on my side and understand the reason which prevents a good background removal.
Regards
Marc P.

picheral

http://www.zooscan.com

Back to top Go down

Odd mask files after processing Empty Re: Odd mask files after processing

Post  jensr Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:22 pm

Just in case anyone has experienced similar problems. Marc is currently looking over some of our images, so a final verdict is pending. But in the meantime, I have reprocessed the sample-set using the rolling ball background method instead, and it has improved the process enormously.
jensr
jensr

http://zooimage.overchord.net

Back to top Go down

Odd mask files after processing Empty Background subtract on Zooscan from Aberdeen

Post  picheral Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:35 am

Hi Jens,
The background subtract problem arises when the optical properties (light, calibration...) of the systems have either not been well adjusted in factory or modified by user.
Your Zooscan comes from the first series from Biotom Company. As you opened your machine and modified the internal calibration strip, the cover light probably needs an adjustment to provide an easy background subtraction. This must be done by expert but the Biotoms models are not supported by Hydroptic (to be checked). Hydroptic models are much better constructed now and the company cares about the delivered systems in case of problems.
As you wrote, the Rolling ball methods can be a solution but the settings must be adjusted to avoid having square artefacts on big targets. In the case of the small fish larvae it works fine with a default setting of 100 at 2400 dpi.
You may also try to work with the large transparent frame. The background may be better removed with this frame size.
Regards
Marc P.

picheral

http://www.zooscan.com

Back to top Go down

Odd mask files after processing Empty Re: Odd mask files after processing

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down