Zooscan Users Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scan now, process later and >25% black error

+3
sylvain
picheral
aspear
7 posters

Go down

Scan now, process later and >25% black error Empty Scan now, process later and >25% black error

Post  aspear Sat May 16, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm in the process of learning the Zooscan and Zooprocess. I have a few questions. First of all, the maximum resolution that I'll be dealing with is 1200 dpi using a Hydroptic V1, and so which version of zooprocess to you recommend using? Also, in the end, I won't necessarily be the one processing the images. For now, we just want to get the images and process them later. However, I have done a few tests to see if my images are processable and have came across an error. The error says that greater than 25% of my image is black. With regards to this error I have two questions. 1) what does this error mean? If I ignore the error for now and just acquire the raw images will it be problem in the future? For example, does this error involve the initial settings of the scanner before I acquire the image? Or does it have to do with altering the configuration file for image processing? My concern is because I'm planning on scanning about 100 samples which should take me a few weeks. I don't want the person that eventually processes the samples have issues and then find out that I didn't scan the images correctly and they need to be redone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

aspear

Back to top Go down

Scan now, process later and >25% black error Empty Scanning and processing using Zooscan-Zooprocess

Post  picheral Mon May 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Dear Adams,
I will try to respond to all your questions...

I'm in the process of learning the Zooscan and Zooprocess. I have a few questions. First of all, the maximum resolution that I'll be dealing with is 1200 dpi using a Hydroptic V1,

I DO recommend that you scan ALL sample using the highest resolution of 2400dpi because your scans will later be considered as ARCHIVES and archives must be of the highest quality.
and so which version of zooprocess to you recommend using?

ALWAYS the latest !

Also, in the end, I won't necessarily be the one processing the images. For now, we just want to get the images and process them later.

EVEN if you will not be in charge of the data analysis (prediction, validation...), you must do a proper quality check for your work. The ONLY way to achieve this is to process ALL samples using Zooprocess and the default parametres and then use the "check process..." tool.

However, I have done a few tests to see if my images are processable and have came across an error. The error says that greater than 25% of my image is black. With regards to this error I have two questions. 1) what does this error mean?

It means that the background was not well subdtracted... or you have change some parametres in Zooprocess !

If I ignore the error for now and just acquire the raw images will it be problem in the future?

DO NOT ignore the error !

For example, does this error involve the initial settings of the scanner before I acquire the image? Or does it have to do with altering the configuration file for image processing?

Have you changed anything ????

My concern is because I'm planning on scanning about 100 samples which should take me a few weeks. I don't want the person that eventually processes the samples have issues and then find out that I didn't scan the images correctly and they need to be redone.

Good concern !
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do not hesitate to skype me ! I think that you must fix all the problems before starting !
Regards
Marc

picheral

http://www.zooscan.com

Back to top Go down

Scan now, process later and >25% black error Empty Re: Scan now, process later and >25% black error

Post  aspear Mon May 18, 2009 4:04 pm

picheral wrote:

Have you changed anything ????

I did not change anything. I used the default values.

aspear

Back to top Go down

Scan now, process later and >25% black error Empty Re: Scan now, process later and >25% black error

Post  sylvain Tue May 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Did you scan a new background before your samples scans?

sylvain

Back to top Go down

Post  aspear Tue May 19, 2009 7:27 pm

sylvain wrote:Did you scan a new background before your samples scans?

Yes I did.

aspear

Back to top Go down

Post  vatansever223 Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:12 am

Did you scan a new background before your samples scans?

hardcore sex
live sex cams

vatansever223

Back to top Go down

Post  AKW Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 am

I've had the same problem before...The only fix I found was to take my sample out, rescan the background image, and then scan my sample again.

AKW

Back to top Go down

Scan now, process later and >25% black error Empty Black>25%

Post  jagadeesan Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi to all
I am as the new user of the Zooscan (from National institute of Oceanography India)
Now i can just start to learn the Zooscan
I also face the same errors on my samples processing
If any one can help me to the solve the problems and give some tips and guidances to operate the Zooscan on my project

If i face the Black >25% error and warning message
I remove the samples and do again the background scan with the fresh water that time also i face the same problem
I using on the higher version of zooprocess
I didnt change the any settings on my process
I use the 2400 dpi in image scanning

Thanking you

jagadeesan

Back to top Go down

Scan now, process later and >25% black error Empty Same issue here.

Post  allie47njd Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:36 pm

We have 2 ZooScans - a V3 and V2. Our V3 has convert/processed a few test images just fine. However, on the V2, we are getting the same error message that you are getting. We are using ZooProcess 7.12. After the convert/process step, there is a pop-up towards the end of the process that says "Warning: >25% black image" and the _msk image is almost entirely black except for 2 small spots that look like the light was trying to reach through. We do have a _vis1 image in the _work folder, so it almost looks like it worked. We have not changed any files, or changed any defaults in the process. Both the background scan and the test scan (we used the OD disks) have scanned properly. We've tried multiple times but always the same result. From reading this forum it seems we are not alone, and the only explanation is that the background subtraction step has failed. However, there are no instructions posted on how to FIX this problem, or use a different process, or change a step in the process.

Please Help!!

allie47njd

http://www.usm.edu/marine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down